REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SHOW A COPY OF DD 214 OR DISCHARGE. HERE IS A LINK TO ORDER A COPY OF YOUR DD-214: http://www.archives.gov/
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee:
1. Complete American Legion Membership application by clicking on the "Membership Application" button at the bottom of the page.
Print two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records. Mail the other copy to:
Steven H. Nipp Post 143
1138 E. Poleline Ave.
Post Falls, ID 83854
together with your dues payment. Applications are also available at the Post.
2. Copy of DD214 or discharge.
3. Membership Dues Payment: Dues are $35 annually. Make checks payable to Steven H. Nipp Post 143. Do not send cash.
4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and then a membership card will be mailed to you.
5. Please see eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. Copy of DD214 or discharge.
c. Copy of membership card.
6. Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year's membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces between these dates:
(You must have served at least one day of active military duty and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.)
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 - Today)* Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.